Mission statement: To share the Gospel and support the ministries of the Seventh-day Adventist Church through the avenue of music
Patron : Pastor Andrew Kingston
Sponsor: Seventh-day Adventist Church - South Australian Conference
Funding: Our band is supported by the Seventh-day Adventist church - South Australian Conference and we are provided with donations from the venues where we take our programs.
The Adelaide Advent Band was initially known as the Advent United Band and it was comprised of brass instruments. In 1928 Ted Harris formed the nucleus of Advent United Band and money was found to purchase instruments and many young men and others still young at heart joined the ranks. As with all bands they are never static – players come and go, even the baton changes hands. The band has been under the baton of several Music Directors, Ted Harris, Ivan Moseley, Roy Harris, Syd Topperwien, Ray Sadler and Vernon Bullas. During WWII the band went into recess but later it was reformed and renamed Adelaide Advent Silver Band. During the early 1950’s the band toured the eastern states, 1986 Norfolk Island, 1993 Tasmania but since then it has confined its touring to mainly within South Australia – from Port Lincoln to Mildura, Mount Gambier to Woomera. Over the years the band has changed dramatically and it is now more on the style of a concert band. Brass instruments still feature but we now have wind and reed instruments plus a keyboard. The Adelaide Advent Band is currently under the baton of John Pannell and we have some exciting items to present to those who come to hear us.
Setting And Packing Up
We ask everyone to arrive no later than 7:15pm on Tuesday evenings for tuning and warm up. Rehearsals start at 7:30pm sharp.
There exist vacancies for skilled musicians to be involved in musical outreach. Tuition is available for woodwind and brass.
For expressions of interest please phone John (08)8325 1715, Noel 0404 050 150 or Christine 0432 684 193
INFORMATION FOR NEW PLAYERS
- Each Tuesday night in the church hall of Trinity Gardens Seventh-day Adventist Church, 198 Portrush Road, Trinity Gardens, at 7:30pm, is our senior Band rehearsal.
- Beginners/learners have classes from 6:30 pm onwards starting in February each year.
- Our Beginners Band, led by our Deputy Music Director, commences in June each year for all beginners/learners, with a 45 minute class starting at 6:30pm, the aim of this being to incorporate them into our senior Band before the end of the year.
- Black trousers or skirt
- White shirt
- Black jacket or vest
- Band issue tie (men) and scarf (ladies)
- $10 per year for membership
- $10 per year for hire of instrument
- You are invoiced once a year (at the beginning)
- Our band plays from three types of folders, they are Sacred music, Secular music and Christmas music. All folders remain in the hall; however, you are encouraged to photocopy the music on the copier in the band room and take it home to practice (remembering to replace the original piece in the appropriate place in your folder).
Adelaide Advent Band
Secretary Treasurer (Christine Simpson)
PO Box 120
PROSPECT SA 5082
Or Mobile: 0432 684 193